What is a Vestibular Assessment?
It is an evaluation performed by a trained and certified therapist to assess the functions of your inner ear and balance mechanisms, and relate them to your present symptoms of dizziness and off balance.
What is Vestibular Rehabilitation?
It is the treatment of your dizziness and or balance disorder on your evaluation findings. It is an exercise program aimed at reducing dizziness and vertigo and improving gaze stabilization, postural stability, and overall functional abilities
It may consist of:
- Gaze stabilization exercises
- Balance retraining exercises
- Conditioning exercises
- Maneuver’s to remove debris from your inner ear canals (canal repositioning maneuvers).
- Habituation exercises (to reduce position- or motion- induced dizziness)
- Gait training.
- Recommendations for improving your level of safety for fall prevention.
Dizziness can be described in many ways:
- Feeling like a rush
- Swimming sensation in head
- Feeling of drunkenness
- Being dazed
- Feeling of confusion
- Feeling of disorientation
- A floating sensation
- Feeling of shakiness
- Feeling of off balance
- A spinning sensation
These symptoms can often be helped to improve your quality of life.