JOB SUMMARY: Performs daily system monitoring, backup operations, and ongoing performance tuning. Responsible for installing/configuring and maintaining data center servers (physical and virtual), power distribution, environmental systems and for the daily monitoring of this equipment. Maintains user accounts within active directory and other similar systems.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of writing purchase justifications; making presentations to an internal audience; work effectively in a diverse highly skilled team; and interacting positively with upper management.
- Independent problem-solving, self-direction.
- Strong understanding of all aspects of operating system administration; i.e., configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.
- Solid understanding of operating system and server technologies; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, file system concepts (clustering, logical partitions, metadata).
- Solid understanding of the configuration of virtual environments along with how to maintain them using best practices.
- Solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; can configure NFS and NIS, windows server domains; can use nslookup or dig to check information in the DNS; understands basic routing concepts.
- Strong understanding of active directory (AD), group policies and domain administration. Responsible for maintaining AD add, moves and changes.
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (i.e. Tk, Perl, VBScript, PowerShell).
- Good working knowledge of Aruba, HP, Palo Alto, Fortinet, Dell, Hyper convergence infrastructure such as VMWare and Scale, Microsoft Exchange 2013-2019, DUO MFA and Sophos.
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to research & solve complex issues independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive customer and internal information.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advance notice.
- On-Call responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned.
- May be exposed to hazardous drugs.
- No regular travel required
- Attends OSHA training upon initial employee orientation and annually completes an OSHA competency.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS: Excellent communication and organization skills. Strong departmental relationships.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as Engineering or Computer Science required
- Associates degree with 2 years of additional work experience in a related field or High school with an additional 4 years of work experience in a related field may be substituted for degree requirement.
- Certifications desired: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, Cisco Data Center Certification (Unified Computing Design/Support Specialist, Networking Infrastructure Design/Support Specialist, Application Services Design/Support Specialist), RHCT, RHCE, RHCDS, CSA – HP OpenVMS, CSE – HP OpenVMS, IBM Certified System Administrator – AIX, CCA, CCEA, CCIA, Cache’ Administrator, Cache” Developer, Oracle Database Administrator (Certified Associate, Certified Professional, Certified Master), SCSAS, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, Aruba Networks, Dell SonicWall.
- Requires sitting, standing, bending, and reaching.
- Basic dexterity skills, frequently lift and/or move up to 50lbs, occasionally lift and/or move up to 75lbs, vision abilities required; close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.