JOB SUMMARY: Performs daily system monitoring, backup operations, and ongoing performance tuning. Responsible for installing/configuring and maintaining data center servers (physical and virtual), power distribution, environmental systems and the daily monitoring of this equipment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of writing purchase justifications; making presentations to an internal audience; work effectively in a diverse highly skilled team; and interacting positively with upper management.
- Independent problem-solving, self-direction.
- Strong understanding of all aspects of operating system administration; i.e., configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.
- Solid understanding of operating system and server technologies; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, file system concepts (clustering, logical partitions, metadata).
- Solid understanding of the configuration of a Citrix and virtual environments along with how to maintain them using best practices.
- Solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; can configure NFS and NIS, windows server domains; can use nslookup or dig to check information in the DNS; understands basic routing concepts.
- Strong understanding of active directory (AD), group policies and domain administration.
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (i.e. Tk, Perl, VBScript, a shell).
- Good working knowledge of Aruba Products, Dell SonicWALL and Sophos.
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to research & solve complex issues independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive customer and internal information.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advance notice.
- On-Call responsibilities
- No regular travel required
- Attends OSHA training at Orientation and annually thereafter.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS: Excellent communication and organization skills. Strong departmental relationships.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as Engineering or Computer Science required
- Associates degree with 2 years of additional work experience in a related field or High school with an additional 4 years of work experience in a related field may be substituted for degree requirement.
- Certifications desired: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, Cisco Data Center Certification (Unified Computing Design/Support Specialist, Networking Infrastructure Design/Support Specialist, Application Services Design/Support Specialist), RHCT, RHCE, RHCDS, CSA – HP OpenVMS, CSE – HP OpenVMS, IBM Certified System Administrator – AIX, CCA, CCEA, CCIA, Cache’ Administrator, Cache” Developer, Oracle Database Administrator (Certified Associate, Certified Professional, Certified Master), SCSAS, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, Aruba Networks, Dell SonicWall.
- Requires sitting, standing, bending, and reaching.
- Basic dexterity skills, frequently lift and/or move up to 50lbs, occasionally lift and/or move up to 75lbs, vision abilities required; close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception