Intravenous Pyelogram (IVP)
- On the day before your IVP, start a clear liquid diet. A list of the foods allowed is included below.
- At approximately 5:00 PM, on the night before your exam, begin drinking your GoLYTELY solution 4L (4000 cc). You should drink 8 oz. every 10-15 minutes. You will be drinking at least 1 quart per hour for a total of 3-4 quarts. Diarrhea will begin within the hour after beginning your solution. Although you will have diarrhea, you must continue drinking the solution so that you will clean out your colon completely.
- Do not eat or drink anything on the day of your examination.
- CHILDREN AGES 5 TO 12:
- Liquid diet day before exam (see list below).
- Magnesium citrate – 10oz. at 4 PM.
- CHILDREN UNDER AGE 5:
- Soap enema the day before exam.
- Soap enema on the day of the exam.
CLEAR LIQUID DIET
AVOID MILK OR MILK PRODUCTS
ONLY THESE FOODS ALLOWED
- Clear Bouillon
- Clear Broth
- Clear Consommé
DO NOT PUT MILK IN YOUR COFFEE OR TEA
- Decaffeinated Coffee
- Carbonated Beverages
JUICE THAT YOU CAN SEE THROUGH THAT HAS NO PULP
- Apple and Grape Juice
- Strained Lemonade
- Orange Drink